The Hunger Games v. The ProgramPlot
HG v. BR
In the somewhat distant future of the world today, earth has been ravaged by war. Many of the few surviving countries, keen to avoid the oppressive fear akin to the Cold War, have mutually agreed to a policy of isolationism. The two largest remaining civilizations are both dystopian societies run by a dictatorship with a strict agenda of keeping to themselves, upholding the power of the government, and driving their own economies forward. Both are shining examples of what could be called "successful fascism". Their names? The Nation of Panem, located across what was once known as North America, and The Republic of Greater East Asia, located across what was once known as Japan.
Despite their upkeep of isolationism, information from each country has leaked through to both Panem and The Republic. They discovered that besides their totalitarian governments they share something else in common: an annual game of survival where randomly-selected adolescents are the combatants. The two proud societies challenged each other to a combined game with modified rules to suit each country, with eight teen competitors participating - four from The Republic, four from Panem - picked out by lottery but for one volunteer from each. Despite the two societies taking part, the game is a battle royale as usual: everyone vs. everyone, anything goes. The last to survive will be declared the winner, not only of the game but in the name of his or her country.
The combined and modified rules are as follows:
- The game will take place on a relatively small island at an undisclosed location. Competitors will be confined to the island via a forcefield. The island will be abandoned, so there will be some homes and stores available though nothing will be particularly fresh.
- There will be no remote-control-detonation collars as in the Program, and thus also no "forbidden zones". However, competitors will have a metal bracelet on their left wrist that will monitor their pulse; it is waterproof, shockproof, etc. and cannot be removed.
- There will also be no natural factors artificially influenced such as control of the weather, wildlife, etc. But for the record there's not much dangerous wildlife on the island(biggest predators being stuff like foxes).
- There will be hidden cameras covering the island to keep track of competitors and broadcast the action to each participating country.
- As in The Hunger Games, those watching the game can pay money to send supplies such as food, medicine, or weapons to their favorite competitors(from their country, that is).
- Though there will be no Cornucopia, each competitor will receive a backpack with rations of bread and water and a map of the island. Backpacks also include a translation device in the form of a small microphone to be worn around the ear so that there are no language barriers between the English-speaking and Japanese-speaking competitors.
- As in The Program, each competitor will receive a randomized "weapon" in their backpack; this can be anything from a fork, to a watch, to a pistol.
- There will be very little former training prior to the games in regards to fighting or weapons, though every competitor's randomized weapon they receive will come with a basic instruction manual as necessary.
- The game will take place over the course of three days. After three days if there is not a winner, the island will be gassed.Roleplay Rules
- This is an intermediate to advanced roleplay, if you couldn't tell by all information here. C: I expect around 90 words at absolute minimum. I expect grammar and spelling to be in good shape.
- I expect a post at least once every three days, that's not asking for too much. If you don't make a post in three days, your character will be killed off.
If you know you're going to be away or busy and/or won't be able to play anymore, PLEASE LET ME KNOW rather than just vanishing so we can spare you an extra day or two if necessary.
- Naturally, be realistic. These are teens; some of them might have more fighting experience than others, but their accuracy isn't going to be perfect and they're not going to be a martial arts expert.
- Accept that your character is very likely going to be injured at some point, and take injuries into account as your character progresses through the game.
- Also accept that your character very well may die. We can discuss who volunteers to die and when in the OoC, but there will be only one winner and no one will be escaping. Uhm, sorry. xD
- Gifts from sponsors watching the game will be given at my discretion. All characters will receive their gifts simultaneously, but what kind of gifts they get is up to me and how many gifts are given throughout the game depends on how long it lasts.
- I realize I may be taking some creative liberties with the timelines and settings of the Hunger Games series and Battle Royale to put them into the same world. Please get over it, because I think it worked out pretty well. >_>
- Any questions regarding the game rules, roleplay rules, or characters may be asked here in the OoC. <3Character Rules
- Characters from the Republic are going to be Japanese with Japanese names, and characters from Panem can be any ethnicity and have either American names or exotic names as seen in the Hunger Games series. Pretty common sense, so 'nuff said.
- Competitors will be between the ages of 13 and 19.
- All competitors are human, no superpowers or X-Men mutants involved. Though I will allow very minor mutations as may occur in nature, such as an extra finger, heterochromia, or conditions like synesthia.
- Any number of submissions for each character slot is allowed; I'll pick out the best in regards to writing skill, creativity, and which I feel offers the most for the slot and the roleplay. If I reject you, feel free to ask why and I'll answer to the fullest.
- As should be a given, no Mary-Sue or God-Mode-tastic characters. I will allow you to pick your character's randomized weapon but I don't want everybody getting a gun or something useful; if I end up having to ask you to modify your weapon to something useless, please do so.
From each country there will be four different types of competitors, as follows.The Good:
This competitor might be considered the protagonist. They may resort to killing for the sake of defending themselves or someone they care about, but it will be their very last resort, if not an accident.The Bad:
Potentially a past winner from a previous Hunger Game or Program. This is very likely the competitor who was a volunteer. Their goal is to win. They are not likely to team up with anybody unless it is to trick and kill them.The Boss:
Potentially a past winner from a previous Hunger Game or Program. They may choose to team up with someone, perhaps only for their own sake, or they may choose to go it alone. They will put priority on surviving more than killing other competitors, but will kill without hesitation in self defense.The Tech:
This competitor lacks the skills of the Boss, but they'll have a good understanding of weapons and be overall very tactical and intelligent. They may choose to either team up with someone or go it alone.
The Greater Republic of East Asia ( The Program - BR )Boy #1 - Takumi Oshiro - The Tech ( Mitsuko Souma )Girl # 2 - Maya Amamori - The Boss ( Kayoko Kotohiki )Boy #3 - Kohaku Miyamoto - The Bad(V) ( Animality Opera )Girl #4 - Yuuki Oshima - The Good ( Yoshimi Kuninobu )
Panem ( The Hunger Games - HG )Girl #1 - Rein Mason - The Bad ( Mitsuko Souma )Boy #2 -Girl #3 - Ange Parks - The Boss(V) ( Noriko Nakagawa )Boy #4 -
Character Template -
Affiliation: ( The Republic or Panem )
Slot: ( Boy #1, Girl #3, etc. )
Position: ( The Good, The Bad, etc. Also include if they were a volunteer )
Age: Between 13 and 19.
Assigned Weapon: The randomized "weapon" they receive in their backpack. Don't all jump for guns. If you want some suggestions for something useless or something that's not exactly a weapon but still useful, feel free to ask here in the OOC.
Orientation: ( Heterosexual, homosexual, etc. )
Appearance: Real-life image only please, + at least a paragraph of description, two paragraphs if you don't have an image. Be sure to take into account height and weight or build, please - both can be factors in a fight.
Personality: A brief summary, at least a paragraph. If they were a volunteer be sure to mention why.
Strengths: At least four, listed in any way you choose. This can be a physical skill, cleverness, an unusual talent, etc.
Weaknesses: At least four, listed in any way you choose. This can be a physical weakness or disability, a personality flaw, a fear, etc.
History: A brief summary, at least a paragraph.
Other(Optional): Anything else you feel should be mentioned.
Submit your characters here and I'll let you know if they're approved, or otherwise offer feedback, ASAP~! When all slots are filled I'll start off the IC thread.